Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Well, of course it's all relative. The Bose system in my Maxima wasn't quite good enough for me to leave alone. Things eventually progressed on my install and now I've got a fully active 3-way component system with full digital time alignment in my Maxima. I don't think I'm ever going to be happy with any stock system. And, of course I haven't a clue how you put an aftermarket system into something like a Focus Titanium where everything is so integrated.
I knew I knew you from somewhere!!!! I had a 2001 Maxima and was a member of Maxima.org for several years (screen name Tony Fernandes), and I remember you from there.

I replaced the entire system on my Maxima as well. Fully active 3-way Dynaudio system with an aperiodic sub enclosure in the trunk. Clarion DRX-9255 HU. It was pretty awesome. I haven't been able to match its SQ in any of the other cars I've owned since then, even though I transplanted the same speakers and HU into my Mustang, which I currently own in addition to the Focus.

Well, now that I know a little more where you're coming from, I can tell you you won't be impressed with the Focus system. It sounds better than the Bose system in the Maxima, but if you're used to your system now you won't be able to stand the Focus system for more than a few weeks, months at the most. It sounds "average" and is on par with many other higher-end systems, but not "above average" in my opinion.

I can't see either of us replacing the "head unit" in the dash of our Foci, although with enough money and time I guess anything is possible.

I see the system in my Focus looking something like this when it's finished:

JL Audio ZR 6.5" speakers in the front doors. I might mess around with tweeter placement because I'm not sure the stock pod location is the best. The door panels seem to have a few alternative mounting spots.

I might be able to retrofit the OEM Sony enclosure and put a 10" sub in there (Imagine Dynamics perhaps?). Or maybe not. If not, then I'll either build my own box (not my first choice) or wait for a custom-made enclosure to come out. Patience is not one of my virtues, so I doubt I'll wait too long before trying something on my own.

Audio Control LQC-1 for OEM integration. It allows you to sum the high-level outputs from the Sony tweeters and mid-woofers into one set of full-range RCA pre-amp outputs, in addition to a dedicated sub output as well. Audio Control touts some technology that flattens the EQ curve for bass response, plus has a 7-band EQ for your components and sub. Or something like that. Seems like it'll work out.

JL Audio HD600/4 amp, with half of it driving the front speakers and the other half driving the sub. Or, I might run the fronts active and have a separate sub amp. Depends on how it sounds when I get it all set up.

Tony