View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
That's all the pics I have for now. I'll have more later.

For those of you who want to just slap some speakers in the doors and use the Sony amp to power them you're in luck. The Sony speakers are 4 ohm. I have to admit I didn't hear much of a difference between the OEM speakers and the JL Audios. My theory is that the Sony system has a lot of active crossovers and equalization so it's not letting the JLs show their full potential. So I'm not sure if it's worth just putting new speakers in the doors and not going any further. Hence, I'll be adding my own amp(s) later and bypassing the Sony amp for the front doors and sub but leaving it intact to power the rear doors and center channel.

As far as wiring, I used the JL crossovers in bi-amped mode and ran the OEM tweeter and mid wires to their respective inputs on the crossover and then ran new wiring to the JL mids and tweets. I suppose you could not use the JL crossovers and just use the OEM wiring and hook them directly up to the JLs, but I wasn't sure exactly what active crossover points the Sony amps and passive crossovers on the Sony speakers were using. Since I plan on adding amps later anyway it was just easier to use the JL crossovers now.

Anyway, that's all I've done so far. I'll be on vacation for a few weeks and I hope to pick up where I left off when I get back. Hopefully by then Audio Control will have released the LCQ-1 for sale.

Tony