Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2005 ZX3 w/Hard Start Problem
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #17
veedubb
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86460
What I Drive: 2005 Green ZXW Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 veedubb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I bought a used ZXW wagon with 5-Spd manual and 2.0 Duratec with 133,000Km on it in March, 2011. I had the same hard starting problem you guys have mentioned and have downloaded the TSB from Ford but didn't want to pay Ford for flashing my ECU, so I was willing to 'live with it' until I get some time to do some 'real' troubleshooting. Since then my alternator went when I was out of town and had to get it replaced for $500, but that's another story. On certain occasions when accelerating, my gas pedal sticks at the upper end of travel (idle position) and gets worse if I just let off the gas and it pedal just 'slams' up. It was to the point that it was dangerous not being able to push the gas pedal down smoothly because I had to overcome the initial sticking.

Anyways, I brought my car down to my buddy's garage who has all the tools I needed to troubleshoot this. I removed the accelerator cable linkage from the Throttle Body (TB) but it was free of any sticking. Next I removed the intake hose to the TB and moved the butterfly plate back and forth to discover that it was sticking. I twisted it to max throttle (with the engine turned off), let it go and it really got stuck in the closed position. There was so much gum around the throttle plate and the housing and I knew that this was the cause of my sticky throttle. So I sprayed the sh!t out of the throttle body with carburetor cleaner and tested it again - no more sticky throttle to this day. Lo-and-behold, this cured my hard start at the same time. I haven't had any more problems with hard starting since I did this at the end of April, 2011. And to think I may have paid Ford to flash my ECU which may not have fixed the problem. Easy to fix and maintain - takes less than 15 minutes, including washing my hands after-wards.

This worked for me and it should be done every now and then to maintain a clean throttle body.

I hope this helps.