Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaychild View Post
Thats the first thing I asked the dealer. I got a Focus S cause it was the only Focus in my city that had a 5 Speed. I asked the dealer if I could add My Ford Touch and they said NO. I asked can I order it later and have it put in, and they said NO. So I asked them, what would happen if someones My Ford Touch system broke, how would you fix it, "Order a new one and put it in". They said yes, so I told them then I can order it and pay for it and you (the dealer) should be able to put it in. NOPE, NOPE we cant do that..... This is were I think Ford really messed up. We should be able to upgrade if we want to. But i guess we cant. Boo!!!
Yeah, this is not surprising at all. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'd say it's probably VERY cost prohibitive. To add MFT to a car that didn't come with it from the factory isn't a simple plug-and-play install. I imagine that what you start pulling the car apart there's lots of wiring harnesses that'll needed to be added, microphone, antenna (s), steering wheel controls, trim panels, and who knows what other kinds of electronics are involved behind the scenes we don't even know about.

Never in my car-owning experience have I heard of someone adding such a complex, integrated system into a base model car after-the-fact, much less something as cutting-edge as MFT. In fact, I'm always surprised at the number of "Can it be done?" threads I've read on various forums over the years.

I applaud you for your initiative and I hope you're able to work something out, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Tony