Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - How the OEM speakers stack up to upgrade speakers (pictures)
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #32
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Yeah thats one thing that would need more testing at higher volumes.

Paper and foam is probably the cheapest materials you can use for speakers and they probably dont handle the higher volumes as well as other materials do. The tone they have is what i was most impressed with. I think paper gives good bass but probably distorts faster then other cone materials.

Another thing about after market speakers is if you use materials other then foam and paper it will last alot longer. Foam rips easy, it dry rots and over time just goes bad. Same with paper

If you change any change the doors they will probably go bad before the rear panel speakers. I dont know about your car but water leaks in around my windows and runs down into the doors.

I think upgrading is still a good idea if you can afford it, but i would change the radio first then replace the speakers when you can afford it. My car is an 07 and the OEM speakers still look new, the cones are still nice and tight and the foam still looks new as well.

Last edited by BowerR64; 05-28-2011 at 03:06 PM.