Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Introducing the All-New Ford Focus Electric
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #57
redav
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86142
What I Drive: 2002, Yellow Mazda

FF Reputation: 1 redav Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This car would work very well for me, but I hate not knowing when it will be available and how much it will cost. If I can't plan & budget for it, it's almost better not to know about it.

My commute is only ~6 mi each way. The weather doesn't get very cold here, and the worst climbing involves overpasses. With a little bit of planning, this car would probably satisfy 90%+ of my driving needs.

After working out the $$, it seems that running on electricity would cost ~1/3 of gas. While that's great, I just don't drive enough (and my gas bill isn't high enough) to recoup the cost of an expensive car. (This may be an inherent flaw of electrics--there's a limit to how many miles you can drive because of the battery limitations & the difficulties of recharging.) If (with rebates) this were to cost about the same as a Focus Ti, I probably would get it. But if it is like a Volt (~$33k after rebates), I don't think I could justify it.