Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Best Rims?
Thread: Best Rims?
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
lexington523
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84279
What I Drive: 2000 Red SE

FF Reputation: 3 lexington523 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrc_fan View Post
New tires will be a big help, not only in improving a cars performance, but also in tire longevity. Even though performance summer tires wear faster, they have stiffer sidewalls and are design to run at higher temperatures. This will reduce chunking (often seen with OE touring tires) and tire corner wear from sidewall roll over.
Recently, grassroots motor sports did a test on this, and it was found that wheel weight had less of an impact when compared to having correctly sized tires for the wheel. Iím not saying that wheel weight doesnít matter; Iím saying that impact/dollar is pretty low.
When it comes down to street tires, my research has led me to believe that youíll get the best performance out of a tire sized correctly to the wheel width. Stock 15x6 will be best served with a 195 street tire.
Not sure what your budget or overall goals are here. Are you looking to get a separate set of wheels and tires, or just new tires? It may be that starting out youíll want to fit a good performance tires to your OE alloys, and find a used set or steelie wheels to put on some snows or all seasons for the winter.
Right now I can spend ~$400 on it. However, I'm willing to wait and save up if the extra inch of width is worth it. That is what I am trying to figure out. I would like to have 2 sets of wheels because I am already seeing the "chunking" that you mention after only two events. I can't really afford to nuke my touring tires trying to make them race. Based on the advice so far, I'm leaning twords saving a bit more money and buying wider/lighter rims and using my 15x6 for my daily driving.