IceJava
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85134
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 IceJava Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
52mpg? Hmmm, that seems hard to believe but I'll take your word until I break my new Titanium in (only 250 miles so far).

I've been having fun with it in sport mode so the 27 mpg on the trip average computer was somewhat expected. Then, I got out on a flat straight-away highway and set to cruise control 60 MPH. On the fly, I reset the computer mpg meter. Since at that point, it is only using in the current 60 mph highway cruise, I expected it to go up to at least 37. However, it was showing 33 mpg. I also wish the computer had a current mpg mode like my old '97 T&C mini-van. I love coasting downhill and watching it shoot up to 90 MPG.

Anyway, I will remain optimistic until it is broken in and do some more testing..
I did a long roadtrip before that tank, where I only got 31mpg calculated by hand "well.. using an app on my smartphone", but that was 4 hours of traveling @ 80mph, and 1.5 hours of stop and go traffic.

I don't have anything to gain by making up the numbers, and I was really surprised (I was aiming for 45mpg). Like i said though, I basically drove like a grandma to get that 52mpg figure, coasting as long as I could down hills and up to red lights, easing up on the gas slightly while going up hills, and generally sticking to the speed limit of 62mph (sometimes a little faster just to pass people going like 55 in the 62 zone).

Sadly I don't drive much, as generally a tank will last me 1-2 months. Next time I take the same trip though (the long one that I got only 31mpg while going 80), I am taking a different highway that has a speed limit of 50mph, to see what kind of mileage I can get out of a full tank.

Also, I am driving a Titanium w/ the sport package, so I have the 18' low profile summers as well.