Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh321 View Post
Is 39 what's recommended on the sticker in the driver's door jamb or what the tire itself says? Low tire pressure (which is the condition you're creating) will cause the tires to wear out quicker and decrease fuel economy because of the increased rolling resistance. Doesn't your TPMS light come on, too, since the pressure is lower than what it's expecting?

I opted out of that package for the ride and all-weather traction compromises. Our roads are crap here, and it's impossible to avoid every pothole. We also get enough winter weather where the summer tires would be inadequate year round, but not enough where it makes sense to get snow tires. With the (unspecified) performance upgrades on the base Titanium and the decent but modest power of the engine, I think the 50-series 17's will be be plenty.
I agree that 17-inch tires/wheels would probably feel better as far as comfort.

Typically tires aren't made with a recommended pressure written on the sides, only the max pressure. According to the door jamb and the manual, the PS3s are supposed to be at 39 psi.

I realize this will decrease my fuel economy and might cause uneven wear. I'll just have to wait and see and watch the tread wear, and take a hit in mpgs, because 39 feels much too firm for me. If I go on a long trip I might temporarily put them at that pressure, but for bumpy roads around town I'll stick with 32 unless the tread starts to show too much wear on the outside edges.

Tony