Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Focus HID
Thread: 2012 Focus HID
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
clutchrider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85035
What I Drive: '05 Black Onyx Toyota Matrix XR AWD

FF Reputation: 1 clutchrider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 Focus View Post
Thanks, but if it were only a light on the dash I wouldn't mind. It cuts power to my headlights when it goes into dipped beam fault.. As far as HID in a stock housing I appreciate the advice but I've had HID is my F150 for 5 years and never had any discoloring or night time glare.
My only additional comment would be that owning an F-150 and being a lot higher off the ground means your US DOT stock lamps are definitely not meant to perform with HIDs.

US lamp regulations do not require cars to have their lamps aimed at any particular degree up or down depending on the height of the vehicle. Therefore my Matrix and your F-150 utilize the same plane for aiming the lamps whereas in European standards, a taller vehicle would be required to have proper aiming so the beam points slightly downward relative to the lamps distance from the ground.

It's the same reason a lot of the luxury cars with projector HIDs in the US have auto-level as an option or standard equip. It's standard to have in Europe. So adding an HID to something that is already taller than a standard car means a lot more scattered light gets tossed around to other people.

I could go on for paragraphs about lighting as I've spent a lot of time/money/effort in applications and research on the topic and my own trial/errors with cars.