Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Focus HID
Thread: 2012 Focus HID
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
clutchrider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85035
What I Drive: '05 Black Onyx Toyota Matrix XR AWD

FF Reputation: 1 clutchrider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm assuming by the whole "dipped bulb" lingo you are referring to the dashboard lamps that indicate you have a bulb-out due to the lower power usage of an HID once the ballast kicks it on.

Unless Ford has something similar to the VAGCOM like a VW has where you can install software on your laptop, plug the laptop into the car via USB -> OBD connector and go into the coding and remove, change, alter; your up a creek. Or you can always add a resistor to your headlamp wiring, pull the bulb out from the indicator in the dash, or cover it with tape.

On a side note HID's do nothing more than give non HID headlamps color since they are not designed for "arc lighting" which creates hot spots (not temperature hot, light output hot) in a lens built for a halogen bulb that outputs light from a filament. There are two different types of bulbs D2S and D2R, one built for projectors that have sharp cutoffs built into them to prevent the beam from scattering causing glare. The other is built for reflector type lenses (think early Acura TL's), but came with a bulb shield that allowed for a similar cutoff to work in-hand with the headlamp lens.

By glare I am not only pointing towards other drivers, you can do a simple test yourself. Go out with halogens and drive around on a rainy night, then switch and drive with the HID in the stock housing. The amount of road glare makes seeing the sides of the road, signs, pretty much everything that much more of a hassle. I had HIDs aftermarket in my Matrix for a few months before I ditched them. They looked great, but offered no benefits, and despite claims actually cause a loss of lumens (how light output is measure).