Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 owners Post your MPG's
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #86
JulesMaximus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85851
What I Drive: 2003 Nissan Maxima SE - Sheer Silve

FF Reputation: 1 JulesMaximus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targon View Post
The problem is that the name Ford Focus in the USA does not have a reputation as a GREAT car. As a result, many people here don't think of the Focus as a car that SHOULD cost even $22,000.

Now, if you don't load a car up with every available option, the $23,000 price tag on the Titanium gives you quite a few features for the price, and many can accept that. They just start to complain when there is an overlap in the price of a compact car and the price of a larger vehicle.

That's the real key, you can get a Fiesta for $19,000 that has a ton of features, or you can get a Focus SE for less that doesn't have as many features but has a more powerful engine and is larger. You have to decide for yourself what you want.

The real cutoff for most people on the 2012 Focus hits at around $25,000 because you can find larger cars at that price range that also have a more powerful engine. The ST will have a 248 horsepower engine, so if THAT comes in at $27,000 or $28,000, people will bit a bit more accepting due to the engine upgrade, but they don't think that with park assist, navigation, moon roof(which many people want and don't use or care about once they have it), etc that the price should go up all that much.

People also clearly don't think, because you would not believe the number of Focus SEs that are out there with a price upwards of $22,000 with automatic, and even without the sport package. Dealers ordered the SE with a ton of extra features when a SEL would make more sense. How about a Focus SEL that has the MyFord Touch package added? On the sticker, the 301A package adds $995 to the price. With Red Candy color(for a direct comparison), a 5-door SEL with 301A comes to $23,180. The Titanium is $23,885. So, SEL with JUST the MyFord Touch & Sony package is only $705 less, but you don't get all the features of the Titanium, and for $705, the Titanium makes a lot more sense.

I can see a SE with MANUAL transmission with a bunch of options, since you can't get a SEL with manual transmission over here, or a SEL with Premium package but without the MyFord Touch for those who are being selective about what they get for their money, but for those who go for a FULLY loaded car, why shouldn't it cost more for ALL of those extra features? Navigation, Winter Package, Park Assist, Premium Package, Moon Roof, plus the little things like cargo nets and extra protection features, why wouldn't all of those add up to $5000?
Newb here with some thoughts on this. I own a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE I bought new in 2003. It is paid for but it has 100,000 miles on it and it needs some work (tires and rear brakes-possibly a fuel pump). Add to that the fact that I took a job 6 months ago that is 30 miles from home (60 miles round trip) and the fuel savings of the Focus starts to become very appealing.

Gas here in California is almost $4.50/gallon for premium (which the Maxima requires) so I figure I can save at least $150 a month just in gas savings. Add in the repair costs and that's another $120 a month.

I test drove a 2012 Titanium hatchback on Saturday, it had the NAV, performance pack, leather, moonroof, I think the only thing it didn't have was the parking assist (which I don't really care about). I have to say, I was thoroughly impressed with everything about the car. The way it drove, the outward visibility, the comfort, the styling, the fuel economy. I would only consider the Titanium model with NAV and all the bells and whistles my current car has (and a few more it doesn't).

By the way, I've owned 2 Fords in my lifetime. Both were Mustang GTs but I have a wife and a kid now so the Mustang isn't really an option. 4 doors, good fuel economy, lots of gadgets, some luxury and comfort, reasonably sporty is EXACTLY what I'm after. I spend 2 hours a day in my car so entertainment is important to me. The bluetooth is also something I would like to have. NAV isn't really necessary but it's not that much more expensive and would definitely come in handy every now and then.

I also like the hatchback option because I'm a cyclist and throwing my bike in the back would be nice vs taking the wheels off, putting the back seats down and jamming in the trunk of my current car, or worse, a mileage killing roof rack. Besides, the hatchback looks much better than the sedan.

This car seems to have everything I want at a reasonable price.

By the way, my wife drives a 2006 Lexus IS250 and I actually think the Focus is more comfortable and well thought out.

Never in a million years would have considered the outgoing Focus. Kudos to Ford for building a car I'm actually considering buying.