Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 owners Post your MPG's
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #76
Indydi
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84608
What I Drive: 2012 Hyundai Elantra

FF Reputation: 1 Indydi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
Posted on Ford Focus Facebook page........

Popular Mechanics, ran a real-world comparo with 5 cars, including new Focus. Results are interesting, with Focus sedan (38.6 mpg) second only to a diesel Jetta (40.4 mpg) but ahead of Chevy Cruze (36.7), Fiat 500 (34.6) and well ahead of the Hyundai Elentra (32.3)!! Love that! -- Mark Schirmer, Ford Communications
Well, it appears that bias is making its way into these figures. Wonder how much Ford paid them to get those results. I'd rather go with Consumer Reports, one of the few unbiased sources out there. The Elantra got 3mpg better than both versions of the Cruze they tested. New Focus hasn't been tested yet, so the verdict is still out on that one.

Even C&D, which I do consider a biased source, had the Elantra doing better than the Cruze. The Focus got only 1 mpg better than the Elantra, which is hardly worth bragging about. The Cruze (tied with the Mazda3 s Sport) got the worst mpg of all five cars in their May comparo.

I'd consider the Focus and Elantra equals as far as mpg, and technically for me, the Focus would be worse as I'd get the stick shift. People don't realize how little difference a few mpg makes (especially those who fork out $1000 more for an SFE package to get 1 mpg more). But I seriously doubt the numbers you quoted. No one else is seeing the Cruze beat the Elantra, so that calls into question all the other figures.

My 3-day Elantra rental gave me 44mpg on a trip that combined mostly highway with some city, and 30 in the city. I got 39mpg in gusty rain going 70-80 mph. I couldn't believe a small car could handle those conditions so well and also get that kind of mpg.

I'm hoping to find a Focus to rent sometime before we're ready to buy, but as of right now, I'm going with the Elantra.