Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Focus Sport Package - Changes?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
timinac
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84542
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST3 Performance Blue

FF Reputation: 1 timinac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefSport View Post
As far as general impressions, the motor was nice if a bit gutless below 3k RPM (I only went up to about 4-4.5k RPM), but that's to be expected. I think the throttle mapping is very conservative for the first 50% of pedal travel to get better gas mileage figures. The auto was nice and smooth, but it was in a REAL hurry to get in a high gear, and did not like dropping down a gear in normal driving. There were quite a few 30 mph corners we came out of with it in a fairly high gear and below 2k RPM with almost no discernable power available on exit. It confirmed my fears that I don't think I could get along with any autobox after doing nothing but manuals for the past 13-14 years. The little rocker on the shifter would probably not do it for me either. Just not involving enough to actually make a difference over a "dumb" autobox.
A perspective posted yesterday by Mark Schirmer, Ford Comm on Facebook - "There are three modes, really. Normal Drive -- "D". Then a "sport" setting "S".. and it does everything for you. When you are in "S", you can also start flipping gears with the rocker switch. Once you start flipping, it will wait for you.. Hold a gear right near redline if you forget to shift. But I don't live on a racetrack, so not sure why I'd use that. The regular "S" mode changes the shift pattern noticeably. You come off the gas and jump on the brake, it will downshift two gears. Hot into an off ramp, it will hold a gear nicely. I like that mode very much, but as I noted, it does noticeable eat into the mileage. At 4.29 a gallon, I'm careful with that stuff now."