Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - What sorts of problems has your Focus experienced?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #336
VentureForth
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85246
What I Drive: 2001 Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 VentureForth Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Bought my baby girl her first car last weekend. It's a 2001 ZTS with 131,000. Paid $2500 for it. So far, so good. Known issues when I got it: Some oil leakage - probably a valve cover gasket job. Exhaust is a little loud - I think there may be a hole in the exhaust manifold somewhere. Also smelling exhaust. Doesn't smoke out of the pipe, though. All the alloy wheels were pretty grimey. Wouldn't clean off with soap and water, so used a metal polish and a soapy brillow pad. Cleaned up WAY nice. Antenna functional, but the lower part of the antenna just above the mount was brittle. Replaced with a short whip. Brakes feel a little different than my other cars. I noticed that the drums were very rusty on the outside - no biggie, if the inside is fine. Also the wear on the front discs seemed variable. A/C didn't work. Gave it a $34 R-134a job. Seems to be fine now - hasn't seemed to lose pressure yet. Rear pax window regulator cable was shredded beyond belief. Replacement comes in today.

All in all, I probably spent the majority of "extra" cash on cleansers and stuff. Otherwise, $58 for the power window regulator with motor, $7 for a whip antenna, and $34 for refridgerant. Also gonna replace valve cover gasket for $40. Considering spending maybe $100 for new drums, but that's on the table for later. May convert to discs, but it brakes well enough now.