Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 owners Post your MPG's
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #29
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 25,851, Level 96
Points: 25,851, Level: 96 Points: 25,851, Level: 96 Points: 25,851, Level: 96
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerGuy View Post
Well that was unecessarily insulting... I'm pretty sure we all know that the built in MPG reader may or may not be accurate. However, sometimes that's the best we can get. For me, the Focus is my wifes car. I get to drive it now and then, but certainly not most the time. And if you think that I am going to convince the wife to stand next to the car at the station and fill it up to the very tippy top, and then run the numbers on a calculator for me, then you don't know my wife. lol, I'm pretty sure my arguement of "but some folks on this internet site want to know the mpg!" would fall flat on its face.

Anyhow, You should be more nice to people, insulting people is a quick way to thin the ranks on any online forum.
Dont take it so seriously, that is why I put LOL after noobs. And noobs didnt mean, incompetent morons, it meant...well noobs to the forum. Should I of used newbs or newbbies instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan12 View Post
What information do you have to support that statement though? The trip computer is pretty accurate in every car I've had with the function (multiple Fords, a Jaguar, and my current Infinit G37). Even when the car isn't broken in, the trip computer isn't going to calculate the mileage any different than when the car is new. I calculated the first tank of gas in my Focus and it's spot on with the gas mileage. I averaged 32 MPG, 387 Miles with the gas needle flat-lining. Trip computer says: 32.2

If nothing else, it's spot on in my Focus and my 08 Explorer V8 that averaged 13 MPG when new and 16 MPG now. Both reflected by the trip computer.
More often then not the read out on the dash changes due to conditions and will give you what your car is averaging at that moment. Its not necessarily what you average will be after a full tank, like what the other equation will dictate. Granted neither of these are 100% accurate.