Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Ask a Ford salesman anything (Incentives, Inventory, etc)
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #20
imccrea
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 85212
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus hatch SGM

FF Reputation: 6 imccrea Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmission View Post
inccrea,

Thank you for your time an efforts to answer everyone's questions! I just put in my order for a 2012 Focus SE, which is my first new car purchase. I'm curious if I got taken for a ride or not. My invoice price came to $20478.36. After my X-plan, rebates, and negotiations, my final price (before tax and title) is $19421.45. Good or could I have done better? Thank you!

Also curious if the "invoice" number is the ACTUAL "cost" for the vehicle. If not, how much below "invoice" does a dealer pay for a new vehicle? Thanks again!
They have to charge you X-Plan, no more no less otherwise they lose their ability to do them. Also under X-Plan rules they must give you a copy of the invoice. Most they can charge is $75 for dealer handling so remember that part as well.

Finally X-Plan is usually slightly above invoice, so here it's a good deal because you avoid paying D & H so it's really $425 below invoice. The markup on a Focus isn't significant, so if you didn't have X-Plan you probably could negotiate to below X-plan but it could be a hassle.

As far as "true invoice" goes. I always laugh when customers think I makeup an invoice, like I would go through that much work to develop a invoice for a vehicle. But that is besides the point, the "true" cost of the vehicle is invoice less holdback which is listed on the invoice. I pulled invoice on a SE automatic 203A and holdback is listed at $587. Your dealership still makes about $640 total on your deal. The catch is your salesman that does all the work only gets paid off of price over invoice, so the dealership will take most of the money and give him $100-$200.