Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - SVT Focus Suspension upgrade (general)
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
WillJongIll
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 64756
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 WillJongIll Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks guys! You've answered in a few hours what I've been wondering for a few months.

Well, I thought about replacing with stock shocks/struts but I've always been one to try and turn a "repair/replace" situation into an "upgrade". As far as budget, I was unsure how much this stuff ran and was hoping to come in at $500 but looks like that's not feasible. Certainly don't want to spend more than $1k.

It looks like the Koni Yellows are about $550 for front and rear and they are adjustable (?) for stiffness. Does that sound right? Will the ride height be affected at all if I keep the stock springs (which I gather is OK?)

Or should I definitely at this mileage replace the springs with either new stock or the Eibach pro springs? The Eibachs drop it 1.5" which I'm sure will look great but I wonder if that will have that front lip "kissing" road obstacles more frequently.

Eibach has entire kits "sport" and "touring cup" for $441 - $650 on Tirerack. Sounds like the Konis are worth the extra $100. Koni has a similar kit (Koni Sport kit) for $656. Is it best to mix and match then? That is Eibach springs / Koni dampers?

Novice question but is a coil-over a single unit that encompasses both the strut/shock and a spring in a single unit? Is there any financial incentive in going that route or better go with the Koni Strut/Eibach spring combo as recommended by BMYLEZ?

Many thanks for your insight.