Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - SVT Focus Suspension upgrade (general)
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
WillJongIll
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 64756
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 WillJongIll Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SVT Focus Suspension upgrade (general)

This is my first post and I apologize if it's redundant as it seems like a general question but I couldn't find the answers after quite a bit of searching, likely due to my lack of knowledge regarding suspension.

I've got an 02 SVT Focus with just shy of 90k miles on it.

She runs strong, no real problems at the moment except an O2 sensor I've been putting off. But the shocks and struts are still original and tend to squeak and creek a bit. I figure they're due to be replaced.

Although I don't go out for track days, I do enjoy a spirited drive (be it a commute or weekend jaunt) and was hoping to go with something a bit stiffer/sportier than the stock setup.

What I was wondering is -

a) Strut / shock replacement recommendations
b) To achieve a real difference, do you need to change the springs as well?
c) At 90k are the springs due anyway?
d) Are coilovers the combination of a strut and spring into a single, adjustable unit? If so, is that the way to go?
e) There are kits out there that include shocks, struts and springs as well... is that the ticket?

I haven't seen this summed up, for a novice reader such as myself, in a single post before. From reading it seems like prices range from $300 - $1k.. but I'm not quite clear on that either. I'd love to keep it on the lower end of that spectrum if possible.

Many thanks in advance

Will
Portland, OR

PS: I have noticed though that one should replace the front sway bar end links when doing this sort of thing as they tend to wear out and squeak (and one person in another forum recommended Moog over the Ford replacements)