Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - The Duratec Sparkplug Sticky
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 11,949, Level 71
Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpork View Post
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but was your note on gapping for the copper plugs or platinum plugs? If it was about copper plugs, would a larger gap on platinum plugs yield similar gains?

If I may. Actually, it's not a stupid question. The answer is > it was tried. The result was less or same power due (it is believed) to be the nature of how a plat or iridium plug 'creates' the flame kernel (i cannot recall all the detail. sorry). the key is the electrode size, and is the reason they have to use rare earths (heat and wear). There is a vid on the net (somewhere) using a highspeed camera that shows the diffs. I have no idea where it is though anymore.
This is an area with a lot of conjecture. If you find the vid, watch and make your own conclusions.
Last of the Hatches #28