Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - How the OEM speakers stack up to upgrade speakers (pictures)
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #22
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 11,949, Level 71
Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post
To me im not as concerned with bass or treble i want a good midrange sounding speaker.
You can try overstuffing the enclosure. In this case, use batting (or fiber fill. whatever you want to call it) made for quilting. It comes in a 'blanket'. Using the Ford component setup as an example (assume that factory batting is not there for clarity), trim the batting in layers (you don't want a huge buildup at the edges) and layer it in. Then start making layers with a hole for the magnet to clear. This is not a 'loose' fiber fill so less worry about hitting the cone or spider. What should result is a little less 'thump' on the low end, but the mids should be smoother by comparison. Or, as some would describe it, muffled! It should not affect the highs at all, even if the driver has a whizzer cone. Eh! it should be cheap enough to try if you want. Note: How much fill you put in is completely subjective. Only your ear can decide whether it is good or bad. Also, I read (at one time) 'some' folks advocating after doing this, drilling a small-ish hole down low in the enclosure. NOT a port, but to permit the driver to breath a bit (in this case the batting is consuming internal volume). There are no formulas that I am aware of. You start small and work your way up until your not getting any weird noises coming from the hole. I have never done this and am not advocating it. Just being informative only. the article was primarily a discussion about using 3-5" woofers in small enclosures.

ChrissyL >> Yes! True! but where do you go to evaluate/purchase good grills? I always thought grills were the unloved stepchild to the whole industry (perty much).
Last of the Hatches #28