Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - How the OEM speakers stack up to upgrade speakers (pictures)
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #17
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 11,949, Level 71
Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
1 cuft was the standard (don't think it would have changed but maybe so?). The point of the sealed box is to provide that infinite baffle for testing only. all the formulas I ever used assumed this volume. 3ft as I recall was the distance established by some audio institute. For testing, you place the driver in the standard box, 3ft up on some sort of table or what have you, away from any walls or surfaces that will artificially reinforce the bass. Middle of a typical living room generally works best (curtains, large stuffed furniture, carpet etc. you get the idea!). You place the mic 3 ft from the driver center (because that is the established standard). If you place the driver near a wall or in a corner, your not measuring the driver alone and it gives you false results. Basically, if your testing, you ignore what sounds good to your ears and test to the standard(s) to give a uniform and honest comparative result. Do you have a book? Radio shack used to sell a real gem for about 10 bucks. It would get you there for all typical configurations (note BOSE multi-chamber, but def your typical stereo store fodder). I really recommend it as it contains a wealth of data and won't set you back serious dollars for the pro stuff.
Last of the Hatches #28