Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - How the OEM speakers stack up to upgrade speakers (pictures)
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post
I didnt remove the crossover i just tested it like it came from the factory. I dont really think it will be much better though its in a factory sealed enclosure so i didnt even need to really mount it into a box.

The box i used is from a 7" klipsch woofer. Its 10X11X9.5 made from 1/2" mdf with a 2.25 X10" port. My calculation tool says its .44 cuft with a tunning of 50hz that seems pretty close to ideal demensions for this size of speaker dont you? The woofer this box was designed for is a 7" ROUND driver but a 6x8 oval looks very simmilar in size IMO its close enough.

The white stuff in the back of the componet enclosure is some sort of batting, its not class but its somthing simmilar.
Doing this bottom to top. Some trivia info for you.
Batting or Fiber Fill. The stuff they use in stuffed animals for kids, quilting etc. It's use is based on the theory of the "infinite baffle" as I recall. Per your pic, What there trying to damp is a standing wave.

Your text box is fine. But again, just trivia if you really want to get into this. There are established standards for testing drivers. Now this is from memory, but there close. Standard test box is 1 cubic foot 'infinite baffle' (regardless if the woofer is made for a port) . DB meter or mic is placed 3 ft from front of driver. Box with driver is 3 ft from ground. Techinically, all this is supposed to happen in a anechoic chamber, but real world, any space that has carpeting, lots of soft furniture (or people) works pretty well for the average quality of test equipment. I cannot recall what the standard drive level (in DB) was, but I think 75 is right on or very close.

As I said, if you have an driver that has an integrated tweeter, or is mounted to an enclosure and you cannot remove it, then you work with what you got. I would only 'mess' with it if something was obviously wrong, broken etc (or your just intensely curious). This is especially true for car speakers.

OK, so where are we going with all this? Only in that I think you have a real interest in it, with proper tuning, you can make damn near any speaker sound good to great (within there loudness specs of course). I am talking about nuance where you can tell the lead guitar is using a tube amp (and the plate is overdriven), or a violin actually sounds good (note: I hate "whiny" violins). It's called 'detail', and admittedly it's my number one beef with most car (and many home) audio systems (although the space is very challenging/intimidating to design in. Hence why I throw up my hands and walk away anymore). I have gone to a few car audio contests, and I got to tell you, most times my initial thought is a lament of how much money the person just wasted on that system. Wife and I came up with a word that for these systems. "Flobberbot", which is an attempt to describe the sound.
Last of the Hatches #28