Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - How the OEM speakers stack up to upgrade speakers (pictures)
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 01:30 AM   #12
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0C0nFused View Post
The rated wattage is a function of many different areas of the driver. The coil, magnet, spider etc. High wattage drivers are made (more or less) for use without an enclosure (as in they will not destroy themselves). There very forgiving in that area, but they loose in efficiency. BTW: Old trick. If you remove that foam pad and (carefully) work some batting to fill up the enclosure, you will increase the internal audio volume by 1.2%. Do NOT let the batting come in contact with the spider or cone. When you tested the woofer, did you still have the crossover in place? If so, test just the woofer (no crossover). the lack of a lower resonance ('Q'), well, it's a tad hard for me to believe.
P.S. What are you using for a signal generator? Is it pure sign or quasi?
Whats hard to believe? what is batting?

I tested the speaker just like i did the other day but with the grills removed so they didnt block any sound.

I can try the speaker without the crossover but im sure it would blow the tweeter without it hooked to the tweeter and im not about to do that.

The signal is generated by the REW program. It will to a sub type signal or a speaker type. You can set it to sweep threw what ever range of frequencies you want. say 0-20,000 or i have mine set to 40-20,000 you can also set it at any level you want. Im using the default 75db

This is one thing that the program doesnt do, or it can if you want to take the time is how the speaker can change at louder levels.

One speaker may have a nice curve at 75db but not at say 80-85 i probobly listen to mine between 75-85db ide guess