Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Introducing the All-New Ford Focus Electric
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 01:24 AM   #28
CheeseEater88
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 72152
What I Drive: 2002, Black, Zetec Cougar

FF Reputation: 1 CheeseEater88 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Even with the limited range, I am considering one.

there are too many pros, even despite that one huge con.

virtually no maintance. maybe near 100k you need some stuff, like struts, bearings, and batteries. but durring that time your not paying for LOFs, transmission flushes, altenators, coil packs, sparkplugs and wires, normal 12v batteries, clutches, fuelpumps, fuel filters.

you can save about 600-1000 on lube and filter change, a hundred or so on (good)tranny flushes, altenators are a pretty good nuissance at a hefty price, coil packs could go for about 100, spark plugs and wires also get up there in price too, 12v batteries are not cheap, close to $100, expect one to go out in 100K.

Clutches are about 800 w/labor. (or more)

Im just tring to prove that ICE aren't cheap to run/maintain/operate
(though I understand that Li batteries are $$$, same with copper motors,and advanced regen braking componets)

all in all, the electric car over simplifies the equation. and all the important parts are covered by some sort of emmissions regulation.

right now, electric cars barely squeek out as "cost effective" in the long run, but if oil and gas prices continue to rise... electric cars will look more and more appealling.

I have already seen a hybrid car battery salvaged at 80k miles or so. It had 3 bad cells, it took 2 very high-end battery testers (~$500) and some good old fashion ebay action and about 250 more dollars, to keep from replacing a $3000 dollar battery.

so yeah, batteries are an issue, but there are ways around "replacing". and that trend will carry throughout the industry. That and economies of scale, coupled with advancing technology will drive the price to its floor. So when the time would come... its not going to hurt as bad.

and yeah, if I had one, I would have another gas powered one for long trips. But even i could daily a focus electric most of the year.