Old 01-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #27
bradshsi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58770
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue Turbocharged SVT

FF Reputation: 6 bradshsi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Nice but Niche (at least for now)

The basic problem is the limited range coupled with a lack of charging infrastructure.

Sure the marketing people claim that 100 miles is more than the average driven per day. But:

1. The range is likely only under perfect conditions, batteries shiny and new, no lights AC, heater etc.

2. Nobody will want to drive within 30 miles of the maximum range for fear of running out of juice and being stranded. Just look at fuel gauges on current cars, you can drive for at least 30 miles past empty and people still panic when it shows E.

3. Those average daily mileages ignore the fact that many of us have routine longer trips we need to accomplish. For example every 2 weeks I need to go to Rochester and back, round trip awfully close to 100 miles. What am I supposed to do for that ? buy a second car ? give me a break that isn't very eco friendly (or cost effective).

Honestly I really wish they'd at least offered a hybrid as well. I need a car that has enough flexibility to replace our working ZX5 runabout when it finally kicks the bucket.