Onlyford4me
Umm, nothing

Fan#: 3341
What I Drive: 03 Black ZX3, 09 F150

FF Reputation: 7 Onlyford4me Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbones00SE View Post
You're both acting like your fellow soldiers are somehow so unprofessional and won't be able to control themselves just because they are openly gay. Onlyford4me, that's only because of our social norms that say women and men should be separate and shouldn't see one another naked. Showering openly with females would be an eye opener the first few times, but after a while you would adapt. It's like being in a nudist colony or watching American TV vs European TV.
I don't think I even hinted at the fact that gays wouldn't control themselves. And I agree that it's because of our social norms that we don't shower together and bunk together. We are America and that is our culture. We keep it as professional as we can in the American (not European) military. My argument against gays in the military is only until we figure out how we will overcome the issues I mentioned earlier. And having blacks in the military isn't even close to the same thing as this. I would say that the showering, bunking and deployment issues are where the problems are going to be. I couldn't care less if someone was gay if it went no further than working with them. But the military culture forces us at a lot of points in our career to live with and become intimate (in a non-sexual way) with many people. Keeping people separate that who are attracted to each other eliminates a whole host of problems. If this is a good idea, why didn't the military do this on its own? Why did it take an act of Congress to force them to do this?

"Government is not the solution to the problem; government is the problem."