Tbones00SE
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9982
What I Drive: 2000 Toreador Red SE

FF Reputation: 10 Tbones00SE Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinloco1 View Post
The military has its own set of laws completely seperate from civilian law, the two are not combined.
Rob a store the state gets you first, then the military. It's the only area in the US where double jeopardy can take place for crimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyford4me View Post
So should I be allowed to shower with females then? I won't look, I promise . I'll just shower and get out. I'm attracted to females the same way gay guys are attracted to other guys. Should I be allowed to bunk with females when deployed as well? Since you weren't in the military, I can see why you don't see this as an issue. Especially when deployed for months on end, sexual frustration only gets worse. Now put all of those people together and see where the focus goes. It's human nature.

For months and months I did not have a shower to myself. Every morning it was wait your turn and get in and get out. Some days it was, "Screw it, where are my baby wipes." It was already uncomfortable as it was. And do I think every gay guy would be checking me out, hell no. But the possibility exists now especially when they can serve openly. There are a whole host of things that have to be hammered out with this issue in particular.
You're both acting like your fellow soldiers are somehow so unprofessional and won't be able to control themselves just because they are openly gay. Onlyford4me, that's only because of our social norms that say women and men should be separate and shouldn't see one another naked. Showering openly with females would be an eye opener the first few times, but after a while you would adapt. It's like being in a nudist colony or watching American TV vs European TV. You get used to seeing people naked in a non-sexual context and it's no longer an issue. Are you going to have the one-off type of person that will do something inappropiate? Quite probably, you will. It should be handled as a case of harassment just like it would be between a male and female. Gays shouldn't be treated any differently and that goes both ways. They shouldn't be making unwanted sexual advances to you and claims made by heterosexual soldiers against homosexual soldiers who do should be taken very seriously and punishment should be severe.

At the end of the day though, it's a job that people, both gay or straight, bravely, but voluntarily signed up for. There is always turmoil when major changes take place. Wasn't there similar arguments made about women serving onboard Naval ships? Now, I see that they are going to be letting women serve on submarines soon (albeit at the officer level). Women are supposed to be barred from combat, but that line seems to be getting blurred all the time. I'm sure back in the '50s there were plenty of white soldiers that were just as uneasy when blacks were integrated too. Were there growing pains? Yes, but by and large the military made it work. Adapability is one of the military's great strengths. I see no reason why they can't make this work. You've already been working side by side with gay soldiers they just weren't out of the closet. I'm not sure if I understand this thinking that just because they can openly say they are gay that now they are going to be doing all kinds of fruity stuff to you instead of continuing to be professional soldiers.
Zetec Crew #73
ATX Faction #24
Mods: Volant CAI, 65mm TB, CFM Lower Mount, VF Passenger Mount, SVT Header, SVT Cat, SVT Flex, and Trubendz 2.5" exhaust, Roush Suspension, Tune and CarPC.