Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #17
Tbones00SE
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9982
What I Drive: 2000 Toreador Red SE

Points 1,356, Level 20
Points: 1,356, Level: 20 Points: 1,356, Level: 20 Points: 1,356, Level: 20
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 Tbones00SE Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyford4me View Post
I think there are things that will have to definitely be sorted out before we let them serve openly.

1. Housing. At the home station, not an issue. During Basic Training and deployments, definitely an issue. Men and women don't bunk together or shower together. How will this affect people who are openly uncomfortable with doing both with gay people. Right or wrong, there's a lot of people who will have problems with it.
Why would separate housing be needed? Take your shower and get out. Some of you act like now that DADT has been repealed that a gay soldier is going to be standing in the corner of the shower watching soap suds wash down the crack of your butt while holding an erect penis in their hands.

Stop giving yourselves so much credit. I don't know about you, but even though I love women, doesn't mean I find everyone of them to be attractive and I get a boner everytime I see one naked. It also means that not every woman finds me attractive and thus every gay soldier won't find you attractive either.

Quote:
2. UCMJ. That would have to be changed to allow sodomy.
Don't see why that would be an issue.......

Quote:
3. Activism. Military members are not allowed to participate in political rallies. Will gays be allowed to participate in gay rights rallies? If so, will they allow other GIs to participate in other activist rallies?
Same rules should apply.

Quote:
4. Equal punishment. Will there be a political correctness in the punishment process for violation of General Order number 1 and sexual harassment cases? I highly suspect yes. The minute the media catches any wind of a gay being discharged for sleeping with someone in a war zone or someone punished for sexual harassment, it'll be all over the news. And it happens all the time with straight people violating that order. Imagine if women and men were allowed to sleep in the same rooms together.
Same rules should apply.

Quote:
5. Training. I can only imagine the amount of sensitivity training that will occur. Will this affect readiness? What will have to be cut to teach this? If nothing, then there's no issue here.
Not military so I'm not sure, but common sense should be applied like you would for any other group. Don't call people out of their names and treat them with the respect which you would want to be treated with.

Quote:
As long as all these issues can be sorted out and are well thought out, I don't see a problem with gays serving openly AT ALL. I personally would have been very uncomfortable for the first 5 months I was in had I been forced to shower with and sleep with someone that was attracted to me (potentially or for real, and man or woman).
People are just going to have to adapt and get over their feelings. Last I checked, serving in the military was still voluntary. If they don't like it then they have the choice not to join/re-enlist.

I don't see a problem with letting them resume from where they left off either. Were these people dishonorbly discharged? Many people were outted by others, not by themselves, so why should they have to start over for something they had no control over.

Now, the real issue with implementation is going to be with benefits to gay partners. Will the military honor gay marriages from those states that permit it?
Zetec Crew #73
ATX Faction #24
Mods: Volant CAI, 65mm TB, CFM Lower Mount, VF Passenger Mount, SVT Header, SVT Cat, SVT Flex, and Trubendz 2.5" exhaust, Roush Suspension, Tune and CarPC.