Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - How much did you pay for your SVTF ?
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 03:48 AM   #523
Boy Racer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 27703
What I Drive: 2003 Competition Orange SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Boy Racer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2003 Competition Orange SVT3 w/EAP for $19,000.74

Bought it new in February of 2004. It appeared on the dealer's showroom floor in August of 2003... then migrated to the new car lot... then disappeared onto the backlot for storage. I'd drive around the block every 2 or 3 weeks to see if it was still hiding back there.

Finally decided to buy it...

Sticker price was $22,300 with every option available, Winter package (heated seats, traction control, heated mirrors) European Appearance Package, audiophile audio system... less than 100 miles on it.

I walked in, offered them $19,000 out the door and told them that was a fair price and if they counter offered I'd walk. (I didn't even sit down when they invited me to. I said I wouldn't be there long enough to sit, either we'd have a deal or I'd be gone.) I also told them I'd been watching the car sit on their lot since August '03 and I didn't think they had buyers lining up for it after 6 months so they should think twice if they weren't going to take me seriously. Finally, I told them I wanted them to add the auto dimming mirror with compass and outside thermometer as part of the package. (It was a generic Ford option that could be fitted on many of their vehicles at the time.)
I had a deal for $19,000.74 in 12 minutes, including the mirror.

DAMN! That told me I left money on the table! Oh well, I've loved it ever since and I'm sneeking up on 75,000 miles and the timing belt replacement. It WAS a fair price on an obscure orange car that I was sure I'd love and most people would never have the courage to buy. And I get compliments on it weekly!