Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Focus is not a 1/4 mile car ...
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #105
Top Speed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77307
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 07 ZX3, 04 Sedan, 02 ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 Top Speed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMITHBOY76908 View Post
I haven't weighed the car but if I had to guess, around 2250 without me in it. I have no A/C, interior is gutted, no headliner, no noise dampening, no carpeting, no paneling, no speakers or radio (when racing), the works. I have that thing as light as can be without getting into the chassis. Next I will be replacing those heavy ass bumper supports with a single 5lb aluminum bar on front and back. That should knock a good 40-50lbs off on it's own. Those crash supports are really f'ing heavy. I'm going tubular on the control arms so saving a couple pounds there while making it stronger. Once I make it track only, that heavy gas tank won't be needed so I will be dropping it and replacing it with a single 5 gallon tank in the spare tire well. I will be removing the heater core and all ducting in the dash. If the car doesn't need it to go through the 1/4 mile, it's coming out. I will replace the radio space with a custom made gauge panel. The A members will be removed and replaced with the runners for the 10 point cage. I will remove the entire power steering system and put a bolt in the steering rack. I don't need power steering to go straight ahead and that will save me a good bit of spun weight and less stuff to go wrong. I'd hate to have to end a race event cause I got PS fluid on the track from a blown hose. The radiator will be replaced with a small single core and manually switched fan. I will cut a good portion of the roof completely out and replace it with plexi-glass. All windows will be replaced with plexi-glass. The hood will be painted carbon fiber with the vent to ram the air into the turbo. Plus a good bit of other stuff. This will be after I drop the built 2.3L in next winter. I'm having my turbo manifold custom built cause I want the turbo (going with a GT3582R) to sit where the battery on the 05-07 sits currently (relocating battery to the rear). I could then cut the hood right above the driver side headlight and do some modifying to force the air right into the turbo. Nothing like looking at a car from the front and having a big turbo stare back at you. My goals with a built 2.3L is 640-660whp on C16 and 30psi from a GT3582R and 830-850whp on C16 with 30psi + a 200 shot. Driveshaft shop forged axles, built transmission, solid motor mounts, the works. Chris Miller will have some competition.
FYI the front crash bar is approx. 17.2lbs and the rear 16.8. They don't even weigh 40lbs so you cant shed 40-50 with an aluminum crash bar.

Also, Chris Miller is making 1200+WHP.

I'd love to see a focus beat Chris Miller, but you are going to need more than a GT3582R to make that kind of power. Even if you got your car sub 2000lbs you would not be able to run against him in the class he runs because outlaw FWD min weight is 2500lbs.

If you are wondering what Focus parts weigh, check this out.