Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Official: Introducing Next Generation Ford Focus for 2012
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 07:15 AM   #805
Peregrine
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing Member Peregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmoose View Post
I've always wondered about something else too... Take a look at the pictures below...

Then compare the thickness of the seats on production cars. The seats in these concept cars look comfy as hell, but yet they don't look like bulky pillows that take up a ton of space either. Why the hell can't we ever see these types of seats on production cars?

Some people might argue that it's a safety thing. But if curtain and side airbags can be meticulously and reliably packed into the roof and B-pillar areas of a car, I highly doubt that it would be a big issue to do the same for thinner seats. So what gives?

I think it would help improve interior space without compromising the overall size/weight of the car. And you'd have the added benefit of keeping the wheelbase shorter and allowing more maneuverability in respect to the car's handling capabilities.

The Fiesta is a love-hate relationship for this very reason—it's extremely fun to drive with its short 98-inch wheelbase... but a major pain in the ass with passenger space. I bet if you fit one with Recaros you'll have some usable rear leg room!! *gasp*

Thin seats aren't going to sell to fat asses.