Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - How-To: 2008 - 2011 Halo Projectors Light Installation
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #120
2011 SE
Focus Addict

Fan#: 80951
What I Drive: 2011 SE

FF Reputation: 8 2011 SE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
So my set of these arrives on Tuesday, and I'm leaving work early to see if I can install them before my apartment manager finds me. So excited! I've already removed the grill and headlight assemblies before, so it's just a matter of getting the LEDs and halos plugged in correctly (and getting that spring clamp at the bottom locked in).

The question I now have is in regards to HIDs for these projectors. I checked out the ones at ddmtuning, and was thinking of picking up this H9 35W 5000K kit to replace the halogens that come with the new lights. However, I'm not sure if I need a HID harness. I already read that I won't need the error code eliminator or adapter cables, but that harness is what's confusing me. Can anyone tell me if I need the harness (I'm guessing no)?

I also wanted to verify whether or not I need to buy some sort of holding bracket for the ballasts, as I'm not sure how or where the heck I'm going to mount those bad boys.

If anyone else has recommendations for other easy install HIDs (35w is what I'm looking for), I'd also consider those.

Edit: The DDM Tuning installation guide for these HIDs recommends mounting using their provided double-sided tape. I also read on FJ that people have been mounting their ballasts underneath the headlight assembly. I think I'll use the tape and drill some holes in the plastic headlight "shelf" so that I can also zip-tie the ballast on there. I'd hate to have the tape give out and I lose my headlights.