Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - return fuel system options?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,320, Level 100
Points: 51,320, Level: 100 Points: 51,320, Level: 100 Points: 51,320, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedfocus View Post
A fuel cell wont necessarily cure all fuel starvation problems either. You still have fuel slosh which can easily uncover the pickup in high g cornering and braking once fuel levels get down to 1/4 tank. The only real way to run the tank dry is to do a surge tank, which is very complicated and expensive. And who the wants to put a fuel cell in their hatch anyway. Technically to run at any kind of track you MUST HAVE a firewall and roll cage built around the fuel cell to be able to run.

Instead of doing all that you could just modify the stock tank to accept whatever kind of pump or pumps you want and keep the tank above 1/4 tank at all times.
I am guessing you have tested all this and in the end of you installing a fuel cell found this to be the case , as well as you tested the adding pumps to the stock take and found that they worked under all conditions ?

My testing didnt find that to be the case , I did a well cell in a few cars and found that I could run the cell down to about the last 2 gallons and still not starve the fuel system , I have done the larger fuel pumps and starved the system at half a tank on a hard right hand turn on the interstate making about 380hp

If your going straight the added pumps will work , if your actually going to be using the car to daily drive and play with some tracks to then add a fuel cell and get rid of any issues that will cause you to loose an engine

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus