Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - "How To" - Replace Valve Cover Gasket and VCT Solenoid
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #35
JBotone
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78479
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT 5 door

FF Reputation: 1 JBotone Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
If you have that little leak in the square part, you can probably acutally see the gasket bulging a little in that area. For some reason, that's the first spot to go on our gaskets...

I guess now is as good a time as any for an UPDATE: I still have a great seal on my gasket and there has been no other leaking from anywhere on the Valve Cover. The first time I tried seating the seal back down, I over-tightened one of the cover bolts and snapped it off at the head!! I was so freaking angry, I had to get my buddy over at Meineke to use some EZ-Outs on it.
I had the leak in the square part as well, replaced the VCG and it went very easy. Torqued it down to 70 in. lbs. No leaks yet. However my leak was coming from the VCT solenoid. I tried to remove it and check and see if I could replace the O-rings. It came apart in to two pieces. I freaked a little, then tried something I hardly ever do. And I didn't take pictures to document because I didn't think it would work.

I took some Blue RTV silicone and put a super thin layer on the mating surface on the top part of the solenoid. Where it meets with the valve cover. I made sure it was only on the mating surface and not on any part of the solenoid. I bolted it back on, and I've driven 500 miles since, and no leaks yet. When I go to replace the solenoid (Which is still working fine, car has great power.) I'm thinking there should be a way to make a gasket to go on the mating surface to give it extra protection from leaking, it would have to be very thin to make sure it doesn't affect the operation of the solenoid. I'm going to see what I can come up with.