Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Zetec Turbo Build: 230-250whp, then 330+whp
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #33
starfuryt550
I Speed Often.

Fan#: 18440
What I Drive: Audi S4, Turbo ZX3

Points 20,601, Level 90
Points: 20,601, Level: 90 Points: 20,601, Level: 90 Points: 20,601, Level: 90
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 23 starfuryt550 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (57)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmylez View Post
Since your manifold doesn't have super long runners that would add to the stress, I would say you don't need a brace. People running long tube Top Speed manifolds don't need braces and they're fine. I ran that kind of setup for a couple thousand miles, no probs.

If you want peace of mind, you could have a support welded from the turbo flange to a place that bolts to the head. Really not necessary, though.

Lastly, 10.9 bolts are way overkill. 8.8 bolts would do just fine and even that's stronger than necessary.
Thanks! I'll take the parts to the store to see what threads and type of head on the bolt will make installation easier if i have to do it while on the car.

Ill see how it all is after installation but yea, i shouldnt need supports. Most people dont have any.

Next, should i slot any of the holes on the flange of the manifold? I was told I should to avoid cracking due to expansion while heating...

Lastly, should I wrap the manifold, even thought it's small, or just leave it be until i ceramic coat it?