Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - How-To: 2008 - 2011 Halo Projectors Light Installation
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #116
andrewsfm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 70099
What I Drive: 2008 Ebony ATX SES w/ Leather & Sun

FF Reputation: 5 andrewsfm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL0540 View Post
Definitely looks a lot better. How many spacers did you use? I know the HID bulbs are a bit longer than the halogens, so maybe spacing it out just a bit will fix the beam spread. Mine have a good few dim-spots that are a bit more noticeable driving on roads with no street lights .
I"ll have to give this a try soon.

edit: I just noticed also you're using 55W bulbs in your projectors.
how are those, brightness/temperature wise? i wouldnt mind some brighter headlights :)
I used nuts that were bigger than the screws as spacers. Bigger so the threads didn't interact. Maybe 2-3mm thick?

If you have the projectors with only two screws beside the hole for the bulb, you definitely need to do this. If you have the 3 screw version, I don't know if this will make any difference but you can give it a shot and see what happens. Maybe use standard washers, and stack them up so you can try various gap heights. I'm gonna try this some time in the future and see if I can tweak the beams.

HID bulbs themselves are longer, but if you hold a H9 halogen and H9 HID bulb level with their bases, you'll see that the gap in the HID is in the exact same spot as the filament on the halogen.

As for 55W HIDs, they are bright as hell. You wouldn't want me behind you dropping the glare shield and flashing my highs unless you've got some DARK tint...

If by temperature you mean color, I'd say get 6000k. My 5000k weren't impressive. They seemed almost with a tinge of pink in the white. But HID colors vary SO much from brand to brand. The 5000k were from DDM surprisingly. My new ones are from an eBay seller who advertised TRUE 55W HIDs and not overdriven 35W bulbs, claiming that the xenon gas chamber on their bulbs was larger. After seeing them when I got them, they really are larger enough to notice.

If you're talking about thermal temperature, then think of this...
The projectors were designed for H9 bulbs, which are 65W.
55W HIDs use 10W less, and not all of the power is dissipated as heat in the bulb like a halogen filament would, cause there's a ballast which is putting off heat during the voltage conversion process.

I just received my IR thermometer from eBay the other day, so I can take a temp reading if you're looking for exact numbers, but I have no halogens to compare them against.

Come out to the focuscanada.net meet if you wanna see them.
DEI 2-way Alarm & Start / DDM Ballasts + CAP 6000k 55w HIDs in Eagle Eyes Projectors / 6000k 55w HID Fogs / All INT+EXT LEDs+7W LED Reverse / K&N Air Filter / Kumho Ecsta 4X Tires / 35%/20% Tint / Black Grille / Maxxsonics MX-1 + 2500W Stereo