View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
sutcliffesfocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 78919
What I Drive: 2001 silver 1600

FF Reputation: 1 sutcliffesfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My 2001 focus 1600 had a problem with the speedometer suddenly going to zero. I read about the circuit board problems and went over all the solder joints on the back with a soldering iron, just keeping it on each joint until it melted. It sounds labourious but didn't take that long to do. You have to be very careful doing it but as it was a last resort before replacing the unit, I thought it was worth it. I had previously tried spraying with WD 40, but with no effect. After the resoldering there was an immediate improvement. Before, the speedo would go off many times during a journey, with the millage LCDs also going to dashes and the engine management light coming on. After the repair, the speedo would just go off once or twice breifly at the start of a journey but then would be fine. I then redid the earth points which are near the washer bottle and are prone to corrosion. This stopped the speedo problem all together and it now works all the time. The earth terminals were very rusty and I would recommend plenty of WD40 before attempting to undo the bolts, to prevent them shearing off.