Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 1turbofocus F/I Tune....lots of tuning issues, NOT satisified.
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #57
Springbuck
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23301
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver SVT 5DR

FF Reputation: 1 Springbuck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have been working with Tom to get my car tuned. I have not posted very much, but I am around a lot as I read almost everything in the forced induction section mostly, but also some others. I have read and seem what has been said before about all the vendors, but I usually make up my own mind. I have had a few issues with the car and I also took my time installing the actual kit. Of course I also had to un-install the JRSC+BBK. I have worked with cars for a long time, but this is my first turbo so I was careful and thorough. Whenever I had a question during the install Tom would answer me either immediately via phone or mail or within a few hours (even while he was on vacation. I did not expect the tune to be factory quality within the first few days. The start of the tuning process was difficult as the MAF tube I had was rounded where the MAF fits and I did not see it. It took quite a few tuning tries where my idle was not good until I found that it was not the tuning causing the problem. I did a lot of my own troubleshooting even though I don't know much about tuning. That is how I found the tube problem. As my job is to fix equipment remotely I totally understand how difficult it is to find a problem. 5 people will have 5 different was of describing an issue. So understanding that I would almost always describe a problem in a mail that I tried to clearly state what I was seeing. Somethings were irrelevant, but rather to much info than to little. Then I would call Tom and fill in what a letter/mail cannot say. This allowed us to pinpoint issues fast and get it fixed. The car is drivable with some small adjustments still to be made to drive-ability. WOT is near perfect as I would want it. Tom has been great. Even when he was on vacation he was sending me tunes. 2 nights ago we discussed a problem at midnight. He always responded to me within what I consider a very short amount of time. It may not have been tuned in a couple of days, but I was not expecting that. Overall I am more than satisfied. The car pulls like a train even though I only have 10PSI set on the EBC. My JRSC+BBK had 200WHP at 10PSI, but there is just no comparison. In third gear while testing WOT from 2k the wheels break loose when I hit 4k RPM. It is not a case of dropping the clutch and the wheels spins, it is while coming from low RPM with my foot off the clutch :)
You can tell it is a eye popping moment right :) The first time I got to do the WOT pulls I got a major surprise. Tom was also very patient throughout the whole process. Even through all the calls and mails and tunes. Even though we are not done I give his service 5 stars. I had no preconceived notions about Tom or his service or any kind of previous history as I have never met him. I made a choice about what I wanted and then I bought his kit with tuning. Installing it and getting it running has not been easy. As I said I had issues with the MAF tube, missing small parts like adaptors, J&S issues, engine mount knocking (Definite strange one for the books). I have a lot of burn marks and skin marks to prove it as well as a lot of aches and late nights. You can tell I am not so young anymore, but I can tell you once that wheel starts whining it was worth every minute of it. I also do not think I was unrealistic in my expectations as I know tuning would take a few weeks and maybe more depending on what kind of problems with the car or kit or electronics you have. I learned a lot from Tom and would also like to dabble more in the tuning part. I have the PRP, but just not the right know-how yet. I am completely satisfied with my service and my kit (with the Comp Turbo). I have my views and I understand others may have a different view, but that is your prerogative. I am not here to argue about it. I am here because I have a Focus and I want to learn and communicate with others about things Focus and sometimes not Focus and the fact that we do not have a RS :)