Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - SVT Clutch replacement completed (pics)
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #20
blkSVTfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 67060
What I Drive: '04 Black 3dr SVT, '92 Fox Body GT

FF Reputation: 1 blkSVTfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
just adding to the story

Not trying to hi-jack, but I thouhgt I would add to this... A buddy of mine and I did this back in like late April/beginning May. The first time we did it took about a solid day. Then while I was off tracking down fluid for the tranny my buddy put the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel back on the crank... He didn't read the clutch disk, where it said "fw side". This led to an unbearable squealing sound. Turns out the little hub on the clutch disk, that from the factory faces the trans actually faces the FW for the LUK Rep Set kit. Guess I should have sent him for fluid instead (since he apparently can’t read.) I was furious!!!!!!!!!! Tore it all apart again flipped the clutch disk so it faced the correct side, installed a new slave (because the hub on the disk chewed into the new one that came in the kit), and had it back together in about 6.5 hours total. The second time is always easier :)...
I didn’t bother unbolting the strut from the knuckle either time. It actually made it easier to get the axles out.
I also took a grinder and ground off a casting nub from the back side of the trans. It kept getting hung up on the cross member, and I just said “Hell with it!” So if anyone takes this on and doesn’t have have a lift, make sure you are up to a long day or weekend full of frustration! It pays off, but is a heck of ride to get there!!!

Here are some pics.. I had to stop taking them because I wanted to get my car done.

Congrats on pulling it off in the driveway!

Cam's the name...