Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - ZETEC Timing Belt Replacement
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #87
RickNC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38833
What I Drive: Focus

FF Reputation: 1 RickNC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianaman View Post
Sorry for the long post but I think I may have messed up. I needed to replace my timing belt so I tore her down got off the harmonic balancer then put some green paint on the belt and the crank. Some blue paint on the belt and exhaust cam. then some Orange paint on the intake cam and belt. REmoved the belt counted the ribs between old belt and marked new belt with paint on same ribs. i.e from green 60 ribs to blue paint then from there 15 ribs to orange. re installed belt aligning paint marks perfectly. set tensioner. now when I rotate crank the paint marks never align again unless i rotate it back. I.e rotate crank ten times CW then back ten times CCW paint will line up no prob. am I good to go? car ran fine before I tore her down. Just some PM. I also noticed the tensioner moves off of its alignment markings when turning the engine over. is this normal. Its midnight and I am freaking out. HELP

ETA the car is still in pcs. now should i stop and get the stuff to put it at tdc? my new belt is on and my paint is still aligned.
You don't really need to do all that. Remove the plugs, insert the timing tool into the front of the block, turn engine clockwise until it hits the tool and insert the cam tool into the ends of the cams. Put the timing belt on with the tensioner correctly installed and you're done.