Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Want launch tips for BFG drag radials
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
side stepping will get the best launch hands down but you risk breaking stuff. my car has always been a little weird with 60ft times. it seems to be faster out of the hole than it should be. i netted a 1.9 on street tires a few times. 18x7.5 heavy ass rims rolling on some bottom of the line corsa something or another street tires. those tires were the best ive ever had. better than kumho or dare i even say pirelli. and they were cheap! if i can find someone locally who sells them those are going back on and probably will be the only tires i run from now on. anyhow back on topic.
side stepping is best if you want the best time but you risk breaking axles, tranny mounts, the bracket the mount bolts to, stripping bolts from the transmission case, and breaking the transmission case itself. the last is only in an extreme case where all the other things have been beefed up.
if you want to play it safe then slip the clutch slightly on takeoff. when you are staged and waiting on the tree go ahead and get into the throttle, if you have 2 step then use it. pull the ebrake and wait. when the first yellow light comes on and they start coming down start easing out the clutch to the point just before you would start to drag the rear tires. on the last yellow release the e-brake and continue to slowly let out the clutch until you are on your way. if you have 2 step you want your foot on the floor from the start. this is the safest way to launch and even though it doesnt net the lowest 60ft it still does damn good. best i could manage was a 1.83 on this method. dont start slipping the clutch too soon or you will overheat it. this method does have its drawbacks. if you over heat the clutch too far the clutch CAN come apart. be careful and happy hunting on those low 60ft times!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!