Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Full-recline mod to stock seats.....56k friendly.
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #50
ccubedzx3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 74559
What I Drive: 2004 Competition Orange ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 ccubedzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
This Used to be a typical std. feature, but the feds outlawed it for rearend crash safety....
Also to prevent people driving with reclined seats in case of a frontal crash... The moral of the story? - Don't Crash! (grin)

I am glad someone brought this up. I used to work as a seat designer, and there is a reason why the seat stops at a certain angle. The seat is meant to deform in a crash. Now that you have taken the "stop" feature out, you have opened yourself up to dire consequences if you do indeed crash.

In an impact, your butt submarines into the seat cushion. The cushion pan structure of the seat is angled such to catch you as your body slides forward. This angle is in direct corolation to the seat back angle at its most extreme condition (fully reclined). Since the extreme reclined position is now deleted, in an event, the seat would more than likely collapse in the new fully reclined position, and you could potentially be launched right out the windshield.....

If that were to occur, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on (you'd probably be dead anyways) and your family couldn't sue for faulty equipment.

I wish I had some crash test footage to share, as watching mannequins get twisted, and launched is a pretty macabre sight....