Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - ZETEC Timing Belt Replacement
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #65
RickNC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38833
What I Drive: Focus

FF Reputation: 1 RickNC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Here are my thoughts on this job. It isn't hard if you have some experience wrenching. I was really only confused about the timing aspect of it, but turns out it was very simple with the tools.

The bar works well to hold the cams in place. I found this out after trying to do it with a wrench with little success. You may have to turn the cams 360 degrees to get the bar inserted into the slots. Took me a bit to figure that out.

You need a good selection of tools. This took me longer than it should have because I had to order the timing tools and had to run and pick up a tool here and there. I found I was short on things like torx and star bits. I also had to find an impact wrench to remove the crank bolt. Also, I had to wait on some parts from the Ford dealer (pulley).

This writeup thread was very helpful. I recommend breaking the cam sprockets loose though. I also found it much easier to start the belt on the cams and slip it over the crank pulley. Everything I read said to start at the crank. Like I said, not that bad of a job really. I also own an SVT so hopefully when time comes for that I can do it in a fraction of the time. I think this is really only a few hours worth of work if you have everything on hand and have done it before.

Last edited by RickNC; 05-29-2010 at 02:46 PM.