Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - HOW TO: WuNgUn's $0 Getrag shifter slop removal mod! Part I
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 06:44 AM   #13
Timmeh!
aka The Wizard

Fan#: 27514
What I Drive: '91 Miata, '82 Benz 300TD

FF Reputation: 9 Timmeh! Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuNgUnSVT View Post
With the tranny out, and moving the mechanism by hand right at the transmission, it is SO slick, tight and precise...like the bolt action of a rifle, only MUCH better. It's like you give it a little effort, and then poof! It takes hold and slides into position...

And this is without ANY leverage on it (i.e. shift lever/knob)...some force required, but not as much as you'd think from the knob side of things...

Which makes me wonder, just how much energy is wasted in the cables? Certainly there is quite a bit of friction in the sleeves....that and the rubbery flex, cable deflection, rubber base...all conspire against the perfect shift!

Oh, there is lots to improve here!!
perhaps, but the cables are a lot easier to deal with than the shift rods....

but if you're curious, any contour MTX-75 pre-96 has a shift rod, so if someone wants to play with shift rods, yank the shift tower and linkage out of one of those guys and see how it works.

just my $0.02 I'll be sticking with cables fwiw.