Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - My 2000 Focus wagon w/4.6 DOHC cobra motor- lots of pics
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
Hummer396
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 30977
FF Reputation: 2 Hummer396 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My 2000 Focus wagon w/4.6 DOHC cobra motor- lots of pics

Hey all,

Since my car is almost finished I thought I would put up some pictures and a list of some of the work I have done.

I bought this car years ago knowing I wanted to do a 4.6 swap, the car had high miles which I didn’t care about but was in pretty good shape. I had a 2000 Ford Mustang Cobra crate motor (they never made the 2000 Cobra but did make the motors), it came with all the accessories, T45 trans, exhaust, engine wiring and computer. I bought some of the parts for the swap parts from Kugel and some I made up myself. I initially put the car together using the stock Focus front spindles and brakes and I think I was running like 255 rear tires. After the car was drivable I decided I didn’t like the way some of the things were done...like usual I couldn’t just leave it alone.

About this time bought a small business, we added a website and started manufacturing new parts...of course the business took off...and the car sat. Recently I decided I could start spending some time in the shop so in the last 6 months or so I decided to make some changes to the Focus so I took it apart and started over. I had a stock 8.8 out of a Mustang but I wanted to run wider tires in the back, I narrowed it a couple of inches and welded 9” ends on it to get rid of the C-clips. I made some brackets and mounted 13” cobra front brakes on the back and put in 3.73 gears. In the rear of the car I cut the inner wheel tubs out and moved them in a couple of inches on each side, now I can fit 305-18 Nitto’s with no problems. In the front I cut out the shock towers and made new ones so I could use Mustang caster/camber plates. I made a new lower control arm so I could use Mustang ball joints and spindles, now I have 13” Cobra front brakes and spindles. I used Mustang front air struts and air ride shocks in the back so I can drop the car down if I want to. I changed the support that is used to mount the motor, I moved it back as far as I could to try to get as much weight back as possible.

I built a side exhaust using Roush Mustang mufflers that they used on the cars they built with side exhaust, I like the way it looks and it sounds pretty good too. I took the roof rack off and welded up the holes and I also removed the side trim and welded the holes up there too. On the rear hatch I took off the trim and welded in a recessed license plate holder, just wanted something different. The rear bumper is actually 2 bumpers plastic welded and 3M plastic bonded together, the stock one did not go down far enough and it looked funky. I need to give a big thanks to Alan at Affordable Auto Body in Inverness Florida. Take a look at how he molded the rocker panels where the exhaust comes out as well as the tail gate where I welded in the license plate holder. I did all of the work on the car except for the paint and body, I can't stand body work!

I am finishing the power windows and some other small things on the interior, finally got the stock speedo to work and am finishing up the rest of the gauges. I mounted the switches for the air ride in the center console so the air ride is now working the way it should.

The car has A/C and all of the other things that make a daily driver fun. I will get some better pictures soon, I still need to get it buffed out and get the windows tinted, grill installed and some other small things taken care of. The pictures here are right out of my shop, it hasn’t been washed or anything so don’t be too harsh on me!

Thanks to everyone who has answered my questions and sold me parts to help me (almost) finish my car!

You can see more pictures here http://s565.photobucket.com/albums/ss97/Focus4-6/

And of course 1 short burnout video

http://s565.photobucket.com/albums/s...urnouttrim.flv