Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - removal of crankshaft pulley bolt?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #105
the_doc735
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74469
What I Drive: focus lx blue

FF Reputation: 1 the_doc735 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I guess it's a "Belleville style" washer, designed to help prevent the bolt from backing off.......the head of the bolt must be gone then. You must be able to now see the actual bolt shank diameter. It's gotta be corrosion holding the washer on. Just give it a wack, or podger it off. I'm heading out for a few hours on a family junket.........but soak the area with a good penetrating fluid for a while if the pulley doesn't come off.......you may have to use a centre bolt/rod adaptor for that puller that you mentioned, if you need it. You should have enough of a stub of the bolt to grab and work that bolt (use lots of penetrating fluid and take your time) back and forth to loosen and remove it. Let's see what happens. EDIT.......I couldn't find the website with the photo......just in case......you could also be describing an integral washer style bolt head, where after grinding the bolt head hex off and with the fact that you apparently can't see an actual outer dia. edge/lip of a "separate" washer.......I'm wondering. The separate washer will be about 2" in outside diameter and about a 1/16" thick.
I thought it was similar to this: http://www.bellevillesprings.com/hea...g-washers.html but now it turns out that the bolt and washer are all in "one piece"!! ~ 'an integral washer style bolt head'. This explains why grooving the head had no effect, it also explains why the 3 leg puller didn't work i.e. as the washer/bolt is all in one piece the puller was obviously pushing against itself! SEE PHOTOS. I had to stop slightly early due to darkness caused by large black storm clouds and then heavy rain; however I plan to continue tomorrow if the weather is fine and dry?

This all-in-one bolt/washer must loosely resemble a mushroom then?

Cheers!

A "little birdie" has informed me that the torque specification for the crankshaft flange bolts is 183-Nm or 135-Lb/Ft ?