Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - removal of crankshaft pulley bolt?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #75
the_doc735
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74469
What I Drive: focus lx blue

FF Reputation: 1 the_doc735 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
No, I don't like that. The pin is made out of good stuff I'm sure, but I wouldn't put a big side load on it. It looks like the side of the counterweb should rotate CW (with the piston moving up some from BDC) enough to allow clearance to fully seat the pin......but a photo isn't the same as the real thing, and we don't know the Zetec varient in the photo. I hate quessing. Have you tried the short pin? You can't find a nice small, bright LED torch (or MAG light), and mirror, and have a peek? No Euro Zetec experts around? So the flywheel lock definitely isn't useable?
I don't know the shape/profile of the counterweight in the zetec SE "FYDB" engine and I would like to see a picture/diagram or [outline] drawing of this component if anyone has one or can even draw one? It almost feels like the sides of the counterweight are NOT flat/straight but curved diagonally from top to bottom [with no abrupt angle surfaces] i.e. a smooth curve?

You are right! ~ the picture may not be the "FYDB" derivative of the zetec SE engine at all? And I also don't like quessing either - LOL! Don't fancy having to take the sump off to get a bent pin out! Lol. Oh dear this is really bad. I feel intimidated and apprehensive about attacking the crank bolt with that pin now, whatever its position maybe! Could it even break part of the counterweight off with the side loading perhaps? Sounds worse than bumping the starter against the floor? LOL! Scratch head

The locking pin is the same length as the timing pin. There is also a longer timing pin that is chamfered at the end [like a point]. Three 'pins' in total, there is no shorter pin?

The flywheel tool? I'm just going by what it says on the pack [i.e. the engine codes] - mine isn't listed [FYDB].