Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - removal of crankshaft pulley bolt?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #67
the_doc735
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74469
What I Drive: focus lx blue

FF Reputation: 1 the_doc735 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It just "ramped" off the machined flat. But I can't see how the opposite side of the crank web/counterweight as seen in the photo won't rotate around (when rotated CCW) and hit the damn pin? It just hit me........that the crank web/counterweight position will be about where the FRONT web/counterweight position of #2 cylinder is at BDC as in the photo (they alternate/are staggered between cylinders). Look at the position of the pin and compare it with how it looks in relation to the adjacent web/counterweight (the front one for #2 cyl. and just on the other side of the bearing) and you can see where the pin should/will contact the crankshaft. I appears that if you rotate the crank CW so that #1 piston is just above BDC, install the pin, rotate the crank CCW until it hits the pin. Back out the pin to see if you've got a good "purchase". Also......can you not see the crank through the bolt/pin hole and check to see what the end of the pin is actually contacting? There are so many Zetec engine varients on your side of the pond.

no I can't actually see in there at the mo, maybe with a torch and a mirror of some kind?

Whilst I was screwing the pin in and out (back and forth) it did hit "something?" at about the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions (on the crankshaft pulley)? But after it gave way the first time I used the breaker bar I didn't pursue it any further; I didn't keep turning with the breaker bar any further to see what would happen next, I simply removed the pin and left it at that and came straight back to the forum with my new dilemma?

I DID put the piston at TDC!

The shop manager assured me that the locking pin carried the code of my engine BEFORE he broke that one item out of a complete ford timing kit (for all ford engines).

cheers!