Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - removal of crankshaft pulley bolt?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #62
the_doc735
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74469
What I Drive: focus lx blue

FF Reputation: 1 the_doc735 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I expect that you've already sorted this out, but if not.......if you're satisfied that this "locking" pin is the correct one then rotate the crankshaft to a location where you can install it (fully seat it) and then slowly rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise until the crankshaft contacts the pin. Just as a trial/test I would back out the pin while applying ccw force to the crankshaft and see how many turns out (or threads) it takes before the crankshaft clears the pin. Hopefully it'll take several turns before the crank clears the pin. You should not have the pin "hanging on" by only a thread or two. If you're satisfied, then seat the pin, snug it up, and rotate the crank CCW again until it hits the pin. Ensure that the crank is seated against the pin when you go to loosen the pulley bolt.
today I received the locking pin (by post). The shaft is exactly the same length as the timing pin but A LOT thicker with a longer thread.

The flywheel locking tool has a list on the back of the pack which states ALL suitable models of ford/focus engine; my engine code is NOT in the list, therefore I conclude that it is unsuitable for my engine?

So looking like it's going to be the pin for next attempt. A ford garage near me has the original ford OEM part/tool (which is the same as mine) and they say that they use it all the time for cracking off crankshaft pulley bolts ~ plus a large breaker bar that delivers obscene amounts of torque!!